Man in wheelchair in hallway

When you’re injured at work, it can be difficult to tell just how much the accident will affect the rest of your life. Not every injury can heal, and even those that do can result in permanent impairment and pain. That raises the question, what are your options if you are permanently injured at work?

Permanent Partial Disability

The first thing you should know is that there are two kinds of permanent disability benefits in Kentucky. Those are permanent partial disability (PPD) and permanent total disability (PTD).

To be eligible for PPD, you must work with your doctor until they’ve determined you’ve reached the point of “maximum medical improvement.” This means that additional treatments are unlikely to improve your condition; you have a permanent disability.

Once you are awarded PPD, you will continue to receive compensation even if you return to work. However, if your disability prevents you from doing the same job, your compensation could significantly increase.

Permanent Total Disability

If your injury is so severe that it prevents you from doing any work, you may be eligible for PTD. Through PTD, severely injured people can be awarded weekly paychecks until either age 70 or when they return to work. These paychecks are either two-thirds of the injured worker’s paycheck or two-thirds of the average wage in Kentucky ($29/hr), whichever is lower.

As you can see, workers’ compensation is very complicated, especially when it comes to permanent disabilities. That’s why it’s critical for the injured and their families to consult an experienced workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible.

The soon your attorney can evaluate your medical reports and the facts of the case, the better your family’s chances of obtaining the recovery you need to move forward and cover the cost of long-term care.

If you’d like to schedule a free case consultation with an experienced Kentucky workers’ comp attorney who will work tirelessly on your behalf, don’t hesitate to send us an email or call (270) 423-0023.

Related Posts
  • Can You File Workers' Comp After You've Left the Company? Read More
  • What Happens If You Lose Your Loved One In a Workplace Accident? Read More
  • Can You Claim Workers’ Comp Even If You Caused The Accident? Read More