What If Police Don’t Come After a Car Crash?

scene of a car accident

Why You Still Need a Crash Report Post-Collision

If you've been in a car accident, you know how chaotic and frightening it can be. Events happen quickly, and it's hard to think straight. Amid all this chaos, one thing you should do is call the police. The police will document the accident and create a report which will be important later on if you intend to file an insurance claim or take legal action.

But what happens if the police don't come? Maybe you called them, and they said they were too busy to respond. Or perhaps you waited for hours at the accident scene, but they never showed up.

If the police don't come to your accident, there are still some things you can do to ensure you have the documentation you need. Here's what you should know.

Take Photos & Talk to Witnesses

First, if you have a camera on your phone or in your car, take pictures of the accident scene and any damage to your vehicle. Make sure to also take pictures of the other party’s vehicle, with the license plate for identification purposes. If there are any witnesses, get their contact information so you can follow up with them later.

Obtain a Copy of Insurance Cards and Drivers Licenses

Ask the other copy for a copy of their drivers’ license and insurance card and take a picture with your phone. Unfortunately, many drivers have out of date insurance cards and if you don’t have their drivers’ license and plate, it may be difficult or impossible to locate them to make an insurance claim.

Head to the Hospital and Get a Property Damage Quote

If you don’t treat, the insurance company won’t believe you were hurt in a wreck. This is especially true when there isn’t a police report and they have to investigate the matter more thoroughly. We strongly encourage anyone who has been in a wreck to immediately seek medical attention and to get 2-3 property damage quotes as soon as possible.

Fill Out a Civilian Traffic Collision Report

Kentucky Law requires that any person who is involved in an accident with more than $500 in property damage that isn’t investigated by law enforcement to file a written report of the accident with Kentucky State Police within ten (10) days. You can fill out the report online at https://kspportal.ky.gov/civiliancollisionreporting/

Call an Attorney

Finally, if you've been in a car accident, it's always a good idea to call an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.

At the Kentucky Injury Law Center, we have extensive experience handling car accident cases. We know what it takes to get results and are here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation. We'll answer your questions and explain your rights so that you can make the best decisions for your case.

Related Posts
  • 3 Things to Never Do During a Car Crash Case Read More
  • What to Do When Hit By an Uninsured Driver Read More
  • Top 5 Causes of Kentucky Car Crashes (And How to Avoid Them) Read More